Making homemade stock is a lot easier that you may think and it means that everything gets used for something! Stock can be made in large batches and frozen for future use; the best way to do this is to reduce the stock down and pour into ice cube trays for freezer storage.
Good stock should be flavoursome, seasoned correctly and free from globules of fat. Some hints and tips are shared below:
- Never completely cover your pot. The stock will reduce by boiling and evaporating.
- Skim the fat and scum regularly.
- Use a sieve to filter it if possible and don’t push it through – allow it to drip as this will give it more clarity.
- Allow the stock to cool completely before dividing.
- Once cool, there will be a layer of fat and scum which should be removed.
- Fish stock should be used on the day it’s made or within 2 days.
- Meat and chicken stocks can be kept for up to 4 days.